motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Maintenance, Problems, and Repairs Troubleshooting your car's woes.

Go Back   motoring|underground > On the Lifts > Maintenance, Problems, and Repairs

Old 11-19-2006, 02:44 AM
N Rated - 87 mph

Default My car has no coolant!!!

I woke up to wash my car today and for some reason I felt I should look at the soul of my mini and I cant believe what I see. I open the coolant box and there is nothing in here at all. It looks wet still but there is NO liquid in there at all. not even close to the mininum line. So this brings me to this question. How dangerous is this situation and should I go to pepboys to fix the situation. or maybe the dealer asap?? At first I thought it was the power steering but I didnt find a PS reseviour(did I spell that right?) and then I dont think we have one because of our EHPS. Anyways please help me with my coolant question.

I dont understand why it would be gone. I have a 2004 mini-S with only 18k miles on it. Its in immaculate condition.
Old 11-19-2006, 03:39 AM
/ Administrator

Send a message via AIM to hollis3

Yes you should check it out right away.

have you noticed the car running hot?
when is the last time you had it serviced?

second biggest d1ck in the world
Old 11-19-2006, 03:43 AM
N Rated - 87 mph

Hey there,

You should have 2 tanks - side by side -- the one on the left is the coolant ( it is a semi clear tank with a black top/lid ---- The one on the right is the power steering tank - all black with a dipstick attached to the inside of the lid.

If you can not see any coolant then you might have a tank leak ( fairly common on the round semi clear tanks ) -- if it is under warranty then call the dealer ( or roadside assist )and have them come and get it. If its out of warranty - then add some coolant / water and have the system tested at a local shop - it will be cheaper to fix at a non-dealer shop if you can't do it yourself.

Good luck
Old 11-19-2006, 03:53 AM
N Rated - 87 mph

Thanks guys. yes its in warranty, only 18k miles and it hasnt been 3 years yet. Its under that full maintenance thing. If I call roadside assist do you think they will come right away and fill it up with the correct coolant? I dont really want to go to the dealer and leave it there forever. Unless someone knows if they will fix it on the spot? I have heard of these tanks cracking, and that it is common. Definately warranty if thats the case.
Old 11-19-2006, 08:21 AM
/ Administrator

Send a message via AIM to iDiaz

Have you tried adding coolant and running it to see how quickly you're losing coolant?
Old 12-06-2006, 06:00 PM
H Rated - 130 mph

the past 3 months i have put in about 4 liters of coolant.. it stays in one week then, poef gone.. i fill it up..stays another week or 2 , then i find all the coolant under the car in the morning..
(mostly i find that the loss is when the car is cold, not when i've just driven)
i removed the bumper to check it out and the bottom of the radiator was all wet from coolant...
so i went to the dealer but they couldn't find anything ( it rained pretty hard so all the spilled coolant was gone..no proof for them to see)
then they have put pressure on the system and there where no leaks

don't know what to do anymore (btw the engine never overheated)
and it's not the expansion tank of the coolant ...

any thoughts or suggestions
Old 12-06-2006, 06:17 PM
H Rated - 130 mph

I had a similar problem where my MINI was slowly loosing coolant. It got worse and worse as the weeks went on. It turned out to be a leaky o-ring in the water pump that was fixed under warranty. I believe there was a TSB about the issue as it was prevalent on early models.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:27 PM
μ

FalKoR, if the overflow tank that you are talking about is empty or at least close to empty, there could still be plenty of fluid in the system to get you to the dealership. If it's not showing hot on the temp guage, I'd run it down there.
Old 04-01-2007, 03:16 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Default Coolant Leakage..and fan

Hey guys I've noticed that my res. tank had been leaking coolant...so i decided to check the site and see if it had happned to anyone else...it did...I saw that i should just take it to a mini dealer.. So i'm going to try. Something that no one else said was that their fan would stay on. Whenever i shut off the engine my fan runs almost every time... I guess it's just cooling it down...but has anyone heard anything about that? Any advice or answers would be awesome...Thank you
Old 04-01-2007, 03:16 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

OMG DUDE, I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM THIS MORNING WHEN I WAS WASHING MY CAR!! and i service it before winter!!!
Old 04-01-2007, 06:19 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Yeah apparently it's happened to a lot of people...I just put some fluid in there to last the weekend, i'm gonig to try and get it in stat.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:48 PM
N Rated - 87 mph

Same issue with my car. I bought it used, and it's just always lost coolant.
I’ve been putting off replacing the coolant tank, and just continuously adding more coolant whenever it needs it.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:41 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

mine was leaking out of the side were the top and bottom of the box is put together. I put some sealant(sp) around the box on that crack and it has stopped, i'm just going to try it for while. They do make a sweet box for it though if you want to add a little flash.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:16 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

When I had my Cooper I noticed that the tank was low, so I called the dealership adn they told me that in the Cooper, the system isn't pressurized adn that the coolant will evaporate leaving this brown mud like substance int he tank. They told me just to add water and check it from time to time.

If you loose coolant when the car is cold or cooling down, maybe there is a loose hose clamp and as the hoses cool, and shrink, they let the coolant out. Then when you start it, and the hoses swell form heat, it seals up. I would check all of my lines and hose clamps.

Just what I would do, hope it helps.

My Gallery

I'm a baaad man!!

'03 MCS, IB/W, 15% Pulley, 2% crank, OBX Header, Stage 1 Head, Magnaflow, Megan Coilovers, Alta RSB, 380cc Injectors, SAFC 2, VGS, DFIC, H2O/Methanol, DT BBK
Old 04-12-2007, 02:17 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Default thanks

Hey thanks for the tip, i'll check everything out.