motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

OTLounge Anything and everything NOT having to do with cars... for better or for worse!

Go Back   motoring|underground > The Overlook > OTLounge

Old 10-21-2009, 11:56 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Default Android

Who has an Android phone? How do you like it? Google said there would be 18 Android phones by years end and they just keep coming out. The Droid seems pretty cool. Here is a list of the new phones.

Android Phones
Old 10-22-2009, 12:03 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

i have a g1 and a my touch i love my g1 with a passion...iphone? whats that....the mytouch is ehhh i text a lot so i love the keyboard(mytouch has a virtual keyboard) and i like programming so the fact that the phone is open source is heaven to me...i am currently working on a police detector for the g1 phones looks like it should be on the market no later than Christmas...if you get one make sure you get a memory stick i have a 16g in my g1 phone runs really smooth and i have only had 2 dropped calls since i got the phone which is a week after it came out....if you want something pretty and dont really care about the tech side of the phone and dont mind not having a keyboard then i recommend getting an iphone
Old 10-22-2009, 03:30 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

^But can it sinc with your MINI?I think not
Old 10-22-2009, 03:43 AM
μ

I think I'm gonna get one of these phones. I've been researching them and am torn. I don't text a lot, but I think that is due to the fact that I have an old ass flip phone and have had those for the past 5 years or so.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:40 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I am definitely interested in the Droid. I want to stay on Verizon and that seems the most tech advance phone that will be out by year end. I have been due for a new phone since July or so. They may be getting the Hero as well which would be nice, even if it was the ugly american version.

Obviously, android gets compared to the iPhone and the one thing I keep hearing is how they are noticeably slower then a 3GS. I know I hate waiting on things to load so this could be an issue, but we will see. Especially since all the current HTC phones, G1, mytouch, hero, use the same slow processor. The droid is supposedly using a faster one so lets hope that works and the battery is good. From what I have seen on spy links, the acer snapdragon is supposed to be really nice, but there is no hard info out there and acer is still an unknown for phones.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:33 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to iDiaz

I'm watchin' the Droid, for sure. It looks like exactly what I want next, but I really dig AT&T (which kicks ass so long as you don't have an iPhone), so I'm hesitant to switch over to Verizon just for a new phone.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:06 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketch View Post
^But can it sinc with your MINI?I think not
why would i need my phone to sync to my mini? and yes im pretty sure it could via bluetooth
Old 10-22-2009, 05:53 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Oh man, I am going NUTS about the Android offerings on Verizon (Droid,Calgary and HTC Hero) .. I wanted the iPhone but not ATT. These look like a great option, the Sholes aka Tao and now aka Droid seems to be the best.

which has 3.7″ touch-sensitive 480854 display, 16GB flash memory, microSD expansion, HTML browser, Google Android 2.0 , 5MP autofocus camera, Bluetooth 2.0+EDR, Wi-Fi, and GPS. along with a physical qwerty keypad as well.

BGR reports

-It’s running Android 2.0. Duh.
-It’s thin. Just slightly thicker than an iPhone 3GS and the thinnest QWERTY-slider we’ve ever seen.
-It is the fastest Android device we’ve ever used. (It’s running a TI OMAP3430 processor)
-The feel of the device is very reminiscent of the OQO 02 model computer. Just smaller. It’s metal with a non-spring-assisted slide, very sturdy, and half soft-touch plastic.
-Awesome capacitive display. Plus it’s huge. Easily the best screen we’ve ever seen on an Android handset, and an amazing screen overall.
-The QWERTY keyboard is actually pretty usable and has a soft-touch rubberized finish. We’ve been told the keyboard design isn’t final on this unit, thus the two no-shows.
-Have we mentioned this phone flies? It’s the Android device to beat, and easily the most impressive. From what we’ve been told, Google had a direct hand in the Motorola Droid. Something to the point of almost dictating every move Motorola made when designing and making the phone. Interesting, huh?
-There’s a desktop cradle/charger that will ship with the Motorola Droid that we’ve been playing around with. It turns your Droid into a “multimedia station” and displays local weather, the time, etc.
-No one wants to listen, but it makes the CLIQ looks like a child’s toy (partly because it is, and partly because the Droid, even in its non-final form, is the most impressive phone we’ve used since the iPhone. It’s positively amazing).

hubba

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:07 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

That droid looks awesome I wonder how much that will be when it comes out.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:16 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to Vegas_Sirk

Droid is hands down the best new android phone thats coming out.

I had a G1 and loved it but sold out and bought a iPhone 3GS becuase it broke on me 3 times. I blame HTC not the android platform for that. The G1's processor just isnt all that great for the computing of the recent Android updates.

I actually miss my Android a bit and considered breaking my ATT contract, only reason I havnt is I have been waiting for something as quick in processing as the iPhone.

Apple has more apps, but they all cost money. Android has the best selection of free apps. Also with 2.0 there will be nothing Android cant do that the iPhone can. Currently Im annoyed with my IPhone because its just now getting push notification, when Android had those at version 1.0. Also most google apps are none exsistant on the iphone since google and apple dont get along too well.

Like for example the native Gmail client on Android blows anything in the mobile e-mail realm out of the water.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:16 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Droid comes out November 6th. $200 after a $100 mir. Not ideal, but I am really digging it. Need to play around with it at the store and see if it is what I am looking for. Has the same processor as the 3GS and Pre so speed should not be an issue.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:29 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

$100 new every two and online applies rebates before checkout so $100 out the door FTW!
Old 10-28-2009, 09:27 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowGLI View Post
$100 new every two and online applies rebates before checkout so $100 out the door FTW!
I dont get what you saying? Is it just me??
Old 10-29-2009, 12:29 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

its 300 new without contract-100 for new two year contract-100 if you purchase online. clearer?

I think that the droid may be my new phone next month.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:34 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Yeah on verizon, if you are the primary line, you get $100 off an upgrade after like 20 months. and they don't do mail in rebates on Verizon.com so they give yout he $100 off in the shopping cart so the 299 phone would be 99 from their site if you are eligible for a new every 2 upgrade.. (as I am.. ) haha