motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

The Exhibit Hall A place to display your photography and art.

Go Back   motoring|underground > The Overlook > The Exhibit Hall

Old 08-08-2013, 03:29 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to AllBlack05S

Fastest I ever hit was 62 on the fixie according to the digital speedo on the cab I was next to
why do i have a feeling that's gonna make it into someone's sig...?

I have neither of these cars anymore. 2014 Jetta Hybrid, 2014 Countryman All4 S now.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:32 PM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBlack05S View Post
Fastest I ever hit was 62 on the fixie according to the digital speedo on the cab I was next to
how on earth is that possible. The same gearing to propel you to 60 at an attainable cadence would not allow you to ever start from a stop unless on a downward slope.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:56 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Eighth mile 4% downward slope start, 53/10 gear and spinning over 120 by the time you realise you need to turn in a block. Best way to make every light between Randolph and Jackson southbound on Michigan ave.

I have neither of these cars anymore. 2014 Jetta Hybrid, 2014 Countryman All4 S now.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:58 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to oreo Send a message via Yahoo to oreo

Click the image to open in full size.

58.2 mph in a full aero tuck going down a 6-mile descent in PA some years ago. Don't think I'll be touching that one anytime soon!
Old 08-09-2013, 03:34 AM
μ

Send a message via ICQ to KiLO Send a message via AIM to KiLO Send a message via MSN to KiLO Send a message via Yahoo to KiLO

SO gnarly! I got up to 52 going down a steep hill a few years back on my road bike. I can't imagine going that fast on a fixie!
Old 08-09-2013, 05:37 AM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBlack05S View Post
Eighth mile 4% downward slope start, 53/10 gear and spinning over 120 by the time you realise you need to turn in a block. Best way to make every light between Randolph and Jackson southbound on Michigan ave.
There's no way. First of all, why would you be riding a 53 x 10 on a fixed gear? That ratio is absolutely absurd. Top pro track racers aren't riding anything near that. Any sort of incline or even a slight headwind and you're walking your bicycle.

At 62mph you are covering ~91ft per second. It would only take you ~11s to travel 1/8 mile (660ft). In that 11 seconds, at 62mph, you are comfortable enough next to a vehicle that you are able to look at the speedometer to see your (the vehicle's) speed, realize you need to turn in a block, then slow down so you can make the turn? All while at a cadence of ~120 and going downhill? On a fixed gear bicycle?

A 53 x 10 would have you going ~50mph at a cadence of 120. In order to achieve 62mph with a 53 x 10 you would need a cadence of ~150. I'm not sure I even believe that. A -4% 1/8 mile grade is not that steep or long.

I regularly descend a ~1 mile stretch that averages -5.5% grade and my top speed is just over 50mph. This is on a lightweight (~16.5 lbs) road bike running a 50 x 12, wearing a full cycling kit, tucked down in the drops with my chest and head just inches from the top tube/stem, and typically with a tailwind.

Top pro cyclists (Tour de France, Giro, etc.) will hit +60mph when descending in the Alps, Pyrenees, and other real mountains. They are professionals, on closed roads, that do nothing but ride bicycles. They are not riding on one of the main drags through downtown Chicago, along the lake, amongst traffic, pedestrians, and motor vehicles.

http://www.bikecalc.com/?cadence=120...it=mph&form=no
Old 08-12-2013, 04:00 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiLO View Post
SO gnarly! I got up to 52 going down a steep hill a few years back on my road bike. I can't imagine going that fast on a fixie!
Honestly, this was the only case I think I'd have ever done that. The section where I suspect I hit max speed was a -14% grade that was at the end of continuous -7% to -10% sections (if you can believe my Garmin) and that one steep section was perfectly straight and had a leveling off at the end. In your mind while you're barreling along, all you than think about is your front tire.

The following year I was following a friend down another descent. We were probably close to 50mph when she passed a side road with some sort of PA state vehicle waiting to turn left across our path from the right. When she went by, both the guys looked at her ass, and while doing so they started to pull out.

I figured I was dead until the passenger looked back to the left and saw me and yelled. I just barely made it around the front of the truck then back to my side of the road. I never really went as fast after that one.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:27 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

And speaking of fast, my niece finished 3rd in the Canada Summer Games road TT

http://ncch.ca/2013/08/12/saskia-3rd...mmer-games-tt/
Old 08-13-2013, 10:06 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Seconded on the incredulity! Are you sure your hipster-cred isn't so great that your bike computer just automatically turned itself to Euro measurement units? That'd be 38 mph or so. Still hilariously fast on a fixie, but not in the internet comedy gold range of your current claim.
I've hit over sixty twice on my race-tuned (as in flyweight wheels trued to within a few thou, brand new sticky race slicks pumped to 130-plus psi, and well lubed new bearings and chain)road bike with 53x12 gearing at the top end of the range. Both times were in an extreme tuck slingshotting out of the draft of several other riders and spinning pretty damn fast rpm. I know there would not have been a possibility of stopping within three or four city blocks, much less one!
Old 08-13-2013, 10:08 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

BTW, congrats on your niece's performances Oreo!
Old 08-13-2013, 01:45 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Hipster cred, that's funny coming from people on this forum directed at a forty two year old. Roadies never did think any bike messenger was capable of being fast because there were so many fat lazy ones.

The also found it surprising when I would keep up on the beach to and from work for the six miles I was on their path. Some actually noticed I was riding a lightweight hand built bike made for racing though. (Not only roadies ride racing bikes)

I rode that gearing for about two months until I stress cracked a crank arm in two. What none of you know about me makes this funny. You could say I was a professional sprinter. Ten to twenty minute sprints 12 hours a day five days a week year round for eight years kind of gave me a giant leg up on weekend roadies. Literally a twenty seven inch thigh seventeen inch calf leg up. (I weighed at my heaviest 185)

Even now fourteen years and eighty pounds heavier I can sprint surprisingly well. Not going over thirty on anything but adownhill anymore but hey. I'm fat and old and don't really care if some roadie believes what happened fourteen years ago because it doesn't matter.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:57 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Hopefully you truly don't care, because I'm just saying what I learned from 10 years and over 80,000 miles of riding.
I did ride a fixie with a 55x12 gear on it once, because I needed to borrow a bike for the regional track pursuit event. I know I wasn't going to be stopping that thing in a city block even in my best of shape. I beat all the guys with the track racer builds except the fellow I borrowed the bike from, and I certainly was built like the roadie I was (145lbs at the time). One of the track locals saw my time and told me "you must have done that on lungs alone, cause it looks like you got your legs at the five and dime."

I don't mean to offend, and I'll take back any intimation that you might be a hipster. It was just meant to be funny..
[ADD back on]
Hey, let's go ride bikes!
Old 08-13-2013, 10:28 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Not offended and I definitely missed the turn by about three blocks. That gearing was done to see if I could, wound up breaking the bike so not at all anything other than silly for the task at hand.

Going riding all day Thursday, gotta get my legs back. (not to mention the 31 inch waist)

Old 08-14-2013, 05:20 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminni View Post
Very cool! Maybe with a better car they will do better? I hit 48mph on my roadbike the other day
Riding in Tahoe paid off.....hit 52 mph yesterday :-p
Old 08-14-2013, 05:22 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

BTW, road around the whole lake too.