motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

The Paddocks General automotive banter, covering any make and model.

Go Back   motoring|underground > The Pits > The Paddocks

Old 08-01-2009, 02:16 AM
N Rated - 87 mph

some of the stories here are scary, but it's good to see that everyone posting here made it through.

my mini and i have only been involved in one real crash (unless you count the times i run up curbs, or the one time i nudged the golf in front of me trying to practice parallel parking!) and thankfully, car and driver are still ticking as though brand new. pulling out of a parking lot, i was making a left, and the mercedes coming up the road kinda caught the right side of my door, behind the passenger door, as i was going into the turn. the guy was driving a brand new 4matic mercedes, eggshell white, and i was in my beloved indi blue mini. scraped my wheel arch, dinged up my quarter panel (it's a wonder that the dent ends exactly at the door line, and doesn't extend on to the door!) and was stuck with the responsibility of paying to fix one chip and one bulge in the benz's wheel well. not a fun day. but since then, i've been a much more careful, diligent driver, and my parents gave me the chance to give up a graduation present in lieu of covering the cost of bodywork to fix my car, and (maybe) fill in the holes from removing my emblems. looks like my mini's going to be repaired and properly de-badged when i leave her home for a few months while i'm up at college...the microkorg can wait, i love my car too much.
Old 08-01-2009, 04:22 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

It was 1975, the summer before our senior year of high school, my then girlfriend (then wife, then mother of my children, then ex), picked me up from work, had their family mutt with her. She had a clean Arizona-found '64 Rambler that her dad had reupholstered in crush velvet top to bottom. He was a local custom interiors guy and that car was sweet. Had no seat belts though. Anyway, the dog was having fits and kept hopping into the front seat. I put her back in the back seat 3 times. The 3rd time I was on my knees and tied her leash to the rear door window knob. She jumped over again hanging herself. Back she went with yet another scolding. When I turned around and sat down all I remember was huge colorful letters. TREE Almost like flashing billboard. I don't remember seeing a tree, just the color letters.

So, when I came to she was slumped over the seat towards me crying and starting to have an asthma attack. She was screaming she couldn't see and I told her that was because her face was all bloody and to settle down. I should have said something else. There were men already working to get my door open. Fortunately, the guy across the street from the TREE was a recently retired fire chief and he was there fast. I remember staring at the windshield wondering what would make a perfect circle of cracked glass in front of me. I later figured that out. I was feeling rather good which I suppose was my adrenalin. When they pulled me out I tried to stand up wanting to check out the damage but was pushed onto a stretcher and soon we were on our way to the hospital in an ambulance. She was still very upset and crying but stopped and clearly answered the med tech's question on which hospital they were to take us to. I slept most of the way there.

We both were cut up pretty good and spent a week in the hospital healing. She lost a couple teeth on the steering wheel and had a gash just over one eye. I had my nose partially tore, a huge gash on my knee, and yes a scalp full of glass. Those '64 cars had awfully stout steel dashboards. I was later returned to the hospital for another week's stay when my knee wound got infected. I guess they really meant it when they said to stay off my feet.

We later figured out that she must have been watching me and the dog and not the road. We were going probably 35 mph on a country road. It was lined with a large drainage ditch. She went left of center, crossed at a farm driveway missing the ditch, and into the yard and dead center into a large tree, perhaps 24" diameter or larger. Her dad said it took awhile to get the car off the tree because the steel bumper had wrapped itself around the tree. The engine was under the front seat, tranny under the rear and the rear axle nearly at the rear bumper. When they got it to a junk yard they just poked the forks of a lift through the side windows and placed it up on the pile of cars. The car was totalled. He swore he'd never customize another car for her, and he never did.

Since then, I've never been in another accident of any substance. She's wrecked every car she's driven at least once. Well, not my '88 F150 supercab, but all the rest. None were bad enough for hospital visits. Even her 2008 MC which was early this spring. She hit the back end of a Pathfinder at a stop light. It's unfair though as her year's worth of paint chips were all eliminated while my MCS still proudly wears 7 years worth of them.

34 years later, the TREE still lives. I pass it every now and then.

Anyway, seat belts and air bags were great developments for automobiles.
Old 08-01-2009, 06:37 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via Yahoo to Bumble78

I have been in a couple of wrecks. And well I am still alive, so yay me.

I have been in two that totaled the car I was driving.

Sept 2005 The first one was when was going to lunch, I was trying to get to the food court on Travis AFB, and was taking the road between the BX and Commissary. I was slowing down to get into the traffic circle and some retiree decides to try and make it from one parking lot to the other. My car was kinda in the way. Totaled the Suzuki Esteem by shoving the engine over about two inches.

A few days later we found a 2002 Liquid Yellow/Black MCS on a used car lot for just under $19K. She was not the color I wanted and I hadnt looked into the new MINI yet, but we decided that she was the right price, so she was ours.

I loved that little car for the entire five months I had her.

Feb 2006 The second major wreck I was in, I was commuting from Travis to Sacramento on 80.
There was a prius involved, and it ended up side down. She was reading while driving in rush hour traffic.

I ended up with a small bump on the head. and some crappy cell phone pics. Six days later we drove our 2006 Pepper White/Black Checkmate MCS off the lot with 13 miles.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 07-27-2010, 12:02 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Stumbled onto this thread. Throwing in my screw-ups.. .
wrecked1a.jpg

wrecked1b.jpg
I guess was trying to mold a telephone pole to the front. The pole didn't make it & the Miniac is still in recovery.. .
Old 07-27-2010, 12:16 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Im kinda worried now... A lot of these stories take place when people where about my age
Old 07-27-2010, 01:13 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to TheWanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketch View Post
Im kinda worried now... A lot of these stories take place when people where about my age
Always leave yourself an out and don't push your limits on public roads.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:20 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to Camaro Send a message via Yahoo to Camaro Send a message via Skype™ to Camaro

^ Best way to put it for driving on public roads.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:29 AM
μ

Not a MINI, nor my wreck. I worked it though. Airlifted the passenger of the Subaru. The accident was Subaru vs. the work van, head on at about 50mph. Driver and passenger of the Suby were under the influence. Driver of the van was transported by ground with moderate injuries to his lower extremities. Driver of the Suby was transported by ground with major head trauma. All survived. I believe the driver was placed under arrest.

You can't see it in this picture but the engine was pushed backed a good foot or so.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:39 AM
μ

Hey, aren't Subarus supposed to have a B-pillar??
Old 07-27-2010, 02:56 AM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashboomstick View Post

Hey, aren't Subarus supposed to have a B-pillar??
Haha ya they do. It was there at some point. During extrication it was removed. I was impressed with how it took the damage.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:18 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

It does you can see it cut from the roof and lying on the ground.

As for my story there were 5 of us in a 1995 M3. The first E36's didnt have traction control and we found out the hard way. Coming home on a Nov night it was raining and we were southbound on 880 near Hamilton exit for those NorCal peeps. We were in the fast lane and my buddy down shifted which caused the wheels to spin and we hydroplaned. At this point car started spinning and everything went into slow motion....two girls in the car were screaming and I was thinking to myself we have 2 options 1. Spin and come to a complete stop or 2. Spin and hit the wall and stop. Well there was option 3. Spin hit the wall bounce of and flip 4 times coming to a rest facing north bound in south bound fast lane. Soon as we hit the wall the windows blew out of the car. Luckily we had friends following about 1/2 mile behind us who slowed down. Everyone got out except for me, I was stuck because the roof as crushed in the high point was where I was sitting. I just remember slowly fading out. Next thing I knew I was in the ambulance........turns out that I flat lined for a minute and a total stranger stopped and resuscitated me. By the time cops came he was gone.

The mark is still on the wall till this day and I see it every now and then. If we were in another car the outcome wouldnt have been the same and now dont drive on rainy nights if I dont have too. I did have pics but got rid of them.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:14 PM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
turns out that I flat lined for a minute and a total stranger stopped and resuscitated me.
Glad he or she was there!
Old 07-27-2010, 05:35 PM
μ

Send a message via MSN to Captain Claw

holy poop

Quote:
Originally Posted by that7guy View Post
I have a strong dislike for small humans
Old 07-27-2010, 07:17 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJD74 View Post
Ever wreck and live to tell the tale?
Nope, every time I wrecked, I died.

Last edited by cristo; 07-28-2010 at 07:58 PM..
Old 07-27-2010, 08:45 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Hmmm... My video isn't in this thread already?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wbsM9ooWZAI

Sorry for the m.YouTube, but I'm on the iPad.