motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

The Paddocks General automotive banter, covering any make and model.

Go Back   motoring|underground > The Pits > The Paddocks

Old 01-12-2011, 08:39 AM
μ

DUI CRASH, NOT ME.
Click the image to open in full size.
The Civic was actually traveling from left to right in the photo. It spun in the air.

It was about 11:30 PM and I was driving home from work. I was approaching the end of the freeway (it's a T intersection) and was about to make a right turn onto a surface street. Just as I was about to turn I see a Honda Civic hit the traffic signal pole causing the Civic to violently jump about 6 feet into the air as well as causing it to spin 180 and finally come to rest about 40 feet from the pole it hit. The vehicle was probably traveling 40-50 MPH and there were no skip marks prior to the area of impact.

I immediately pulled my vehicle into the intersection to block traffic, jumped out to check on the driver and called 911. Fortunately there happened to be a Sheriff's deputy driving by about 2 minutes after the crash. I was still on the phone with the 911 call-taker when the deputy pulled up.

The 45 y/o female driver was conscious and breathing and was complaining of chest and arm pains when I first approached the vehicle. She had no immediate signs of broken bones or bleeding. The airbags deployed but she was not crushed, pinned or trapped. She said she was diabetic and did not know what happened. However, one of the deputies found an open alcoholic beverage bottle in the driver's floorboard area and it still contained some alcohol. There were also numerous medication bottles found in the vehicle and in the lady's purse.

A traffic collision investigator administered a breathalyzer test before the driver was transported to the hospital. I heard the investigator say the driver was 3 times the legal limit (.08). And that she works at a local hospital as a nurse.

What you cannot see in the photo is all the damage to the front right corner of the vehicle. The front right wheel (along with the suspension bits) was completely separated from the vehicle. The wheel and fender were at the pole while most of the other parts were scattered throughout the intersection. The spring landed in a field next to the road. The driver's door panel was torn off, the entire windshield was shattered and both front door windows were broken.

This crash happened at the same intersection where the off-duty CHP officer and his family were killed when the accelerator in their loaner Lexus got stuck. That crash started the whole stuck accelerator issue with Toyota.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:40 AM
μ

You're a good citizen, Chip.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:42 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Last year I was tuning a bike(on my anniversary) that had been sitting up for about 15 years. I was on, off, on, off......... so this time I got on with no gear, which is something I never do. The front brake locked and splat I went 6 broken ribs, collapsed lung, compound fractured collar bone, broken scapula, and fractured skull with 127 staples. I've been down plenty of other times at the track, but always wearing gear. I can't belive the one time I didn't it bit me

That big dark pool on the left is me

Old 01-12-2011, 12:59 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I took some FL people out to run some twisties.

They don't see many curvy roads. Made it about halfway through the route. Everyone but the MINI were ok