motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

OTLounge Anything and everything NOT having to do with cars... for better or for worse!

Go Back   motoring|underground > The Overlook > OTLounge

Old 10-25-2010, 08:51 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Default Travelling to Canada in March

Hello dudes,

I am getting married next March 2011, and my future wife and me are planning to make our honeymoon in Canada. We have always been in love of this country. Problem is that we are planning to travel there on the last week of March...

I have never been there yet, but we have been browsing through the internet for some info and we are afraid that March is still too cold to have fun there. We don't mind of a little bit of snow, but we want to have a nice and sweet honeymoon without thinking ..."why didn't we go to Mexico, Jamaica or other 'warm' place"... Our planning is to go to Toronto, Quebec, Montreal and Niagara falls.

We would also like advice about other places in the USA, but we are mainly focusing on Canada (you know, is like a dream for us to go there).

I know this is very OT, but as most of you are from the USA I think your advise can be really helpful.

Other idea was renting a car and driving from coast to coast... but I don't think we will have enough time...
Old 10-26-2010, 04:58 AM
μ

My 2c...

I'm in love with Canada and have returned several times. Depending on where you go, you're still likely to find snow on the ground.

My recommendations are:

Vancouver Island - a beautiful and amazing place. You can spend quite a bit of time there alone, but the main towns of Victoria and Nanaimo are your most likely spots.

Quebec City - beautiful European-style city with some great culture. It gets really cold in winter, so I would expect March to still be a bit 'slushy'...you'll need water-proof boots!

Montreal - bigger than Quebec City, but still with that European / French influence.

Anywhere in the Rocky Mountains - Banff and Whister etc are amazing. Sure, the ski season will be winding down, but the mountains and greenery around there are spectacular.

Vanvouver is a gorgeous city as well.

I've heard Ottawa is a beautiful city (still on my 'places to go' list)...

Toronto is just a big city. There's some interesting bits to it, though. One of Canada's biggest draw-cards is it's natural environment. Toronto is more about business and university etc...

The East Coast is cool too, but I'm assuming your honeymoon is not going to go on for months and months...(Halifax = party!)

Niagra Falls is vastly over-rated and a tourist-trap. I wasn't a fan.

Don't forget, Canada is a BIG country. Like when visiting Australia, Europeans tend to under-estimate how long it takes to travel. For example, it's 4200km of road between Vancouver and Toronto. The country is about 5800km across! Driving that is certainly ambitious! Don't forget, about 2000km in the middle is flat-as-a-board prairies. People loose their marbles out there...

If you have to focus on one area - I'd suggest Keep to the West around the Rockies - British Columbia (don't miss Vancouver Island) and Alberta.

BTW - if you're going to be arriving in March, check when the ski season ends. If you can time your trip to arrive in the off-season, accommodation and other things should be cheaper...

Click the image to open in full size.
Tit + Bec = '09 AB JCW // '90 964 C2 // '15 R60 CCS // Australia

Last edited by Tit; 10-27-2010 at 04:31 AM..
Old 10-26-2010, 08:52 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Thanks for the advice tit.

BTW, Australia was also a target, but it takes too long to visit, and we will have maximum 15 days for our honeymoon.

Other (wife ) target is Rivera Maya, Jamaica, Mexico, but I think these kind of trips may be kinda boring... I just don't want to spend all day on the beach!
Old 10-27-2010, 08:06 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via MSN to beken Send a message via Yahoo to beken Send a message via Skype™ to beken

If you're visiting in March, you may still find some snow on the ground in Ontario (Toronto and Niagara Falls) or Quebec (Montreal), but it shouldn't be too bad. It will be warm on the west coast in Vancouver or Vancouver Island but that's 3 timezones west of Ontario. I would definitely recommend visiting Ottawa and Quebec City also. You may need to polish up on your French a wee bit for Quebec City though. Montreal remains one of my absolute favorite cities to visit.

Whenever I'm in that region, I also take a few days and visit New York City. But that's because I'm at the other end of the country.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:21 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Thanks for your advice

I think we are definetely goint to the east side of the country. It's a bit closer to Europe and there are some organised tours that last for about 12 days that are pretty good imo.

Ottawa, Toronto, Sacacomie, Québec, Montreal.

I've been looking for some information and temperatures shouldn't bee too low. At least, not to have good fun. It must be really inspiring to see those landscapes covered with snow.

I'm really looking forward visiting Canada, it's been one of my targets for a long long time.

I'll keep the west side for the next time, and also NYC. I don't think we will have enough time...