motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Cornering Optimizing your suspension system.

Go Back   motoring|underground > On the Lifts > Cornering

Old 01-26-2007, 03:04 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Default Corner Balance?

I have heard that having your car corner balanced is well worth the time and money. Have on here have it done? If I already have my car's stance sitting were I like it will that be effected? Were can you get this done and for how much?

I talked to Eric over at Helix about this and he mentioned that its hard to find good adjustable end links. From what he said and my guessing the endlinks from Texas Speed Works seem to be the best bet.

http://www.txwerks.com/catalog/links.jpg
Old 01-26-2007, 03:40 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Yea, those droplinks are about the best for the front, but any adjustable is OK for the rear.
As far as CBing a road car, it's hardly really worth it. It is not a cheap thing to have done by someone who actually knows how to do it.
I would recomend just making sure that there is no swaybar preload and be happy with that. The Mini actually seams to balance out very well without a corner balancing job anyway.
Old 01-26-2007, 04:52 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to hollis3

/\ agreed

My understanding is that corner balancing a street car is not the best option. If you sometimes have passengers or sometimes carry stuff, it throws off the balancing. Depending upon setup, this can make the car less predictable than stock.
Old 01-26-2007, 05:57 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

i was wondering how a balanced car would react to different amount of weight, I can see how that would be bad
Old 01-27-2007, 09:22 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

The car is *balanced* in some fashion now - and having someone in the car, stuff or full/Low fuel levels make it handle differently ?

I swear i've seen the weight in one of the MINI mags ( or maybe someone on some forum) and it was resonably close to being balanced from the factory ( i don't remember if it was with driver in / how much gas )

If you were to change the shocks you might want to have a before and after picture to be able to set it back to stock balance...but other wise changing it migh not net the anticipated results.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:51 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to iDiaz

Yeah, it's got pretty decent balancing from the factory. Once you drop it on coilovers, all bets are off, so corner balancing will probably net some benefit.

All you're basically doing is balancing the crossweights, which will make the car corner more consistently in left- vs right-hand corners. Make sure they disconnect the swaybar end-links when they do this, as swaybar preload will affect corner weights. Once they've corner balanced it, they can reconnect the end-links and adjust them for zero preload. Align the car to your specifications.

Alignment shops don't generally perform this service, so you'll have to hunt around for a race shop.