motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Tire & Wheel Without wheels & tires, you're going nowhere!

Go Back   motoring|underground > On the Lifts > Tire & Wheel

Old 08-09-2009, 09:00 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Default What to do...

I was searching craigslist the other day and came across one of my all-time favorite sets of wheels and got them for an incredible price. They're Kosei K1 Racing wheels in 17x7.5, which I've loved ever since I first saw them on 03Indigo's car way back when. However, the reason that the wheels were so cheap is that one of them has a very minor bend on the front of the rim and a small crack on the back.

Click the image to open in full size.

Certainly, I'd love to just grab one spare wheel and set this one aside, but since these have been discontinued for a while there don't seem to be too many out there in this size/bolt pattern. So I'm thinking about seeing if I can have it repaired. It's my understanding that there are places that will fix bends and cracks like Wheels America or RB Wheels. I imagine repairing it would cost about the same as buying just one wheel if anyone was ever just selling one, but might not be quite as safe. Has anyone here ever fixed a cracked wheel before, or do any of the wheel-masters here know where to find one of these? Also, huge props to Konky for his help in picking up the wheels and getting them shipped out to me. Thanks man!
Old 08-09-2009, 12:42 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Rally

Don't take it to RB wheels....their welding isn't worth it. Just have a wheel repair company repair it. Repairing such a small crack really shouldn't cost that much unless it's really bent up too.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:14 PM
Retired

as Rally said, they can both be repaired, they might need to re-finish them, which would in turn remove the Kosei blue decal, but you can discuss that with them.

Good find, I have been looking for a reasonable spare set for a while, some have come up, I just never have the funds available when I need them. They do bend, especially in the 17" size, but overall, a GREAT rim, reasonably durable. Mine are still straight, no bends.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:33 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I had mine welded by a wheel shop here in Sacramento. It was $135 to weld and straighten. Been using it on the race car this season without trouble.